Saturday, November 27, 2010

What's for dinner? Thanksgiving edition!!!

A blog about what we had for dinner!  If you want to see our cookbooks, check out the cookbook shelf link at the top my the blog

I almost gave Thanksgiving it's own post, but then realized this week would really consist of only two meals in preparation for and recovery from Thanksgiving, so skipped it!

Monday: Pasta with garlic and Olive Oil  Molto Gusto 
This recipe looks plain and I was really expecting to hate it.  It was actually pretty good! (I guess when you add enough salt and cheese, anything is good!;) ).  I'll give this cookbook points for ease, but you certainly aren't going to impress your in laws with any of them that we've tried so far.


Tuesday: Mexican Cheese Soup.
This is a great little slow cooker recipe. Gavin loves it with chips. I had it over french fries Wednesday for lunch.

Wednesday: Alyssa's Pasta Salad.  
For some insane reason we  still had collage class on Wednesday.  Alyssa brought pasta salad which was very good.

Thursday:  Thanksgiving!
Gavin and I spent the holiday home together, but it didn't stop us from cooking like there were going to be about 12 people coming over for dinner!!
Our Thanksgiving Table
 We recently received our first set of China and could think of no better first use than Thanksgiving dinner!
Dinner!
 Turkey: Gavin and I roasted the smallest turkey we could find! (11 lbs).
Stuffing:  Gavin made his Grandpa's stuffing recipe.  It was delicious, but clearly intended for a larger turkey, we ended up with an entire baking dish of extra stuffing!
Buttered Carrots
Mashed Potatoes: My husband makes the best mashed potatoes.  <3
Dinner Rolls
Pinot Noir Poached Pears with Muddled Wine
 Poached Pears with Muddled Wine: Our first dessert course was mine. I combined a recipe from the William Sonoma Healthful cooking cook book with one from the Ikea 365 cookbook. The wine smelled delicious in the house all day and we loved both the pears and the warmed wine.  I would serve them with ice cream next time.

Tofu Chocolate Mousse
Chocolate Mousse:  Gavin made the second dessert course which was a Tofu Chocolate Mousse, also from William Sonoma healthful cooking cook book.  We had a little issue with the texture, but it was still excellent.


Friday: Turkey and Vegetable Soup.
I always try to make soup from the leftover turkey bits, and sometimes have some major problems, so changed my methods up a bit this year and made some awesome homemade broth and soup with fresh veggies! I considered making homemade noodle, but we were out of eggs.




Saturday: leftovers   
 
Sunday:  leftovers

It's only Saturday morning, so I'm still guessing about today and tomorrow, but I'm pretty darn sure that's what we're having at least until Monday or Tuesday!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment