Sunday, November 28, 2010

1st Sunday of Advent

Today is the first Sunday of Advent.  Advent is the beginning of the Catholic Liturgical calendar and marks the beginning of preparation for the Christmas season.  I am not currently Catholic, and I wouldn't call my conversion particularly successful so far, but Gavin and I are still celebrating Advent.  I don't have nearly as many holiday traditions as I would like, and advent gives us the perfect opportunity to develop a few new ones!

Our first project was an Advent Wreath.  Gavin was such a trooper and agreed to head to Micheal's on Black Friday (we went late in the day, don't worry!)  We couldn't find the candle holder we wanted, but we are cleaver and creative and were able to make it work!





I really like that the Advent Wreath seems to borrow from so many different traditions and incorporate them into a Christian celebration of preparation for Christmas.  The general idea is that each Sunday leading to Christmas, we will light one of the candles before dinner on Sunday, culminating in lighting the white candle on Christmas.

I'm not an expect, so for more information on advent, check out this link or just google it :) .

No comments:

Post a Comment