Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lucia Lucia by Adriana Trigiani

New month, new book club book!

This month's book was Lucia, Lucia by Adriana Trigiani.


The book is a frame story primarily about the life of a young Italian self proclaimed 'career woman'.  More clever readers can probably guess her name.  It follows her life through two engagements, the birth and death of a niece, being left at the alter and ultimately living her entire life never living anywhere other than her childhood bedroom which has now been renovated into a small apartment in the building her father once owned.

Sometimes I feel like books should come with a warning sticker regarding certain content.  I guess my current life place makes me overly sensitive to particular scenes and situations. When they come up in movies or TV shows, I just change the channel.  However since I already committed to reading this book I was stuck and survived.

This marks my fifth month in book club.  I've been lucky to have not had to miss any meetings yet and I've successfully completed all of the books.  I am really enjoying book club as a way to get together with people in my neighborhood and exchange ideas with people very different than myself.  It's a great group of women and they have been incredibly warm and welcoming.  In a few months I'm hosting! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment