Saturday, February 8, 2014

Date Night, 2013=Success

In 2013, one of my goals, and one of our family's goals was for Gavin and I to have a date night at least once a month.  At the start of 2013, Colin was barely a month old and it seemed like it would be a very challenging goal to achieve.  The idea was to have an 'actual date' (meaning going out of the house and doing something together) but I did hedge and come up with a few back up plans we could do at home, just in case.

We successfully had a date night out together every month in 2013!!

I already wrote about many of them here and here.

September:  In September we had our very first overnight date!

October:  Carnival Cruise Evening Out

In October, we took a cruise with my parents.  We took advantage of our adjoining rooms and left our sleeping baby to climb around exploring the boat (including the adults only area, not as exciting as it sounded...) and reenacting parts of Titanic. We had recently found out we were pregnant again, so my wished for tropical drink was just a Shirley Temple. :)

November:  Arroyo Trabuco

We had originally planned to go to Flemming's Steak house for dinner.  But we didn't make reservations and when we called, they had a very long wait and no tables.  We ended up eating at Arroyo Trabuco's restaurant.  We love their Sunday brunch, but we were disappointed with our dinner.  Still, we had great conversation and it was nice to dress up for a date!

December: Great Gift Wrap Up

In December, we made a short trip to Vegas mostly to see my parents.  But we went to the Harrah's Great Gift Wrap up for the first time.  We had so much fun wondering around with calculators adding up the point values for things we had no where near enough loyalty points for!  It was much more fun that I would have expected and in the end, we picked several "Nap" items from Brookstone.

I am really proud of us for accomplishing our goal.  To me, it is a concrete way that we affirm our decision to put a priority on our marriage.  Plus in a rushing, chaotic, beautiful life that often involves conversations that revolve mostly around vomit, diapers, medications, the beauty of pregnancy, and every one's sleep habits, it's nice to have a dedicated 'grown up' time together.

For 2014, we continued this goal and changed it a big by adding a "Griffin Family Book Club."  Gavin and I are taking turns choosing books to read that we discuss completely randomly throughout the month.  I suppose it would be a nice back up if we ever ran out of things to talk about at date night, but it's yet to happen.  I'm so lucky I'm married to my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment