Monday, October 28, 2013

Past me

I love to send emails to future me.  It's one of the various methods of journaling I employ.  Usually on big events, or anniversaries of big events, or when I'm feeling sentimental about one of those, I'll send an email off to the future with my well wishes.

I received one today from Past Me.  Past me, one year ago today, was very pregnant and couldn't sleep.  I was concerned about the changes coming.  I was worried, I was excited, and I was scared.  So I begged future me to please go and kiss the baby.  Past me didn't know you don't wake a sleeping baby.... but luckily for past Amy, and slightly unluckily for current me, Colin woke up on his own.  I took it as a sign and instead of giving him a few minutes to calm himself back to sleep, as he sometimes will, I went and gave him the kiss.   I will always love and cherish the late night snuggles...

The email made me wish I could go back in time and comfort my younger self, as these emails often do.  To shout back in time "Hey! It's not going to go exactly as you planned, but everything's going to be alright!"  I started thinking about it.  What else would I tell my past self?

Don't be so hard on yourself!  You are doing your best and everything will work out as it is supposed to.  Try to get a little more rest.  Most importantly, enjoy the moment you are living in, because even when the days to come are better, the one you have are beautiful and when they are gone, they're gone forever.  And thank you, thank you for working hard and doing what you needed to to get me to where I am today.  

Without time travel, I think that's the closest I'm going to get to a message from the future.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea and a solid reminder of time's passing. Amazing what a difference a year can make, eh? It's always easier to see the 'big picture' later on.

    ReplyDelete