Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Years Eve: Auld Lang Syne

This Christmas Eve is seems both appropriate and crazy to think of times long past.  I'm overcome with the thought that 2030 is now as close to the present moment as 2000...

I spent NYE 2000 with my mom and sister watching movies and partially wondering if the world would end (or at least be seriously disrupted). In reality, I celebrate new years in GMT -8, so we already had a pretty good (aka really good idea) that everything was going to be fine.

15 years later, and  tonight I am again celebrating at home , but this year at my own home with my husband and my mom.  I have two kid of my own sleeping happily upstairs.

When I reflect on the last year, it's like some crazily perfect dream.  It wasn't perfect, of course, but the good outweighed the bad so clearly that it's difficult to even remember the difficult moments of the year.  I watched Colin go from a baby to a toddler.  I gave birth to our beautiful baby Alex.  I spent time in my husband's arms and saw family here and across the US.  I met and solidified friendships with some of the most amazing moms.  I was confirmed Roman Catholic, I worked for a nonprofit, I worked, I played, I wrote, I sang, I read "Goodnight Moon" 300 times, I hugged, I kissed, I laughed, I even (occasionally) slept.

I am proud of what I've accomplished this year.  I am proud of who I am working to become.  Most of all, I am simutaneously proud and humbled by the beautiful family I have the privledge of being a part of.

Happy New Years!

  

1 comment: