Monday, June 3, 2013

Brag, Beat, Variance

WSOP time is upon us once again and in honor:

Brag: I have a wonderful baby boy and hugely supportive awesomely involved husband.  Beat: My husband is in Vegas playing the WSOP while said baby is suffering his first major illness.  Variance: I've swallowed my parenting pride and learned it's okay vital to ask for help.

Apologies to the poker community if I messed that up. :)

As is summarized above, we had an unfortunate first this week: Colin's first ER visit.  He started seeming unwell mid last week, but Friday night he woke up wheezing and having difficulty breathing.  After calming him down and calling the doctor, we were on our way to the ER.
Colin finally asleep at the ER
 Colin has Croup.  Apparently it's somewhat common, but terrifying.  My pediatrician told me it's the only thing he's ever taken his children to the ER for.  The ER visit was awful, but I can't imagine it could be anything but at 2 am on a Friday night.  It took four hours and of course there was an extremely intoxicated patient in the waiting room.  The past two nights have been hell.  In the middle of the croup, Colin cut his first two teeth.  And while it might be related to teething, he may be starting a growth spurt judging by his sudden increase in milk demand.  Talk about the perfect storm.

It's been the hardest few days we've had since those first difficult days in NICU.  I'm incredibly grateful my mom was here to help me, I don't know how I would have done it alone.  I'm also very lucky that when I thought about what would happen if I were alone, a long list of people I could call for help came to mind.  Parenting is hard, maybe even impossible alone.  I'm so grateful I have so many people around me to help.

Baby is currently napping and I'm hoping he's feeling better soon.  Daddy is due home after his current tournament.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww glad he is feeling better and I hope I am on that list of people to call.

    ReplyDelete