With our theme in mind, we'd decided we wanted the top half (two thirds, really) of the room blue and the bottom green. We've had blue and green paint samples laying around our kitchen for a month, and as soon as we were done with the chair rail, we took them upstairs and decided on colors.
|Planning for painting!|
Like with the Chair rail, I had a plan and it included buying and testing samples. I'm no designer and a 3" piece of paper isn't quite enough to give me a feel for the color and samples are a cheap way to make sure you don't end up with something you hate.
We immediately fell in love with the blue. The green, not so much. We bought more samples until we'd decided on our colors. The wall was looking a bit festive by then.
|Our first samples|
|Some of these colors anyway....|
Painting isn't that difficult, it's not even that time consuming. PREPARING to paint is the hard part. I divided it up into several days because I get tired very easily lately. Sanding, cleaning, caulking holes and taping... We'd learned some from our first painting project downstairs and were much better prepared this time around.
|Before (Just look at that lovely Chair Rail!)|
This time around we opted to only tape the base boards. We got some advice on brushes and bought a 1" and a 1.5" Purdy brush for trimming and had pretty good results. The chair rail gave us a little bit of difficulty.
Gavin and I started on our own on Saturday with the blue only. I helped trim, although once we started rolling, the paint smell was a bit strong so Gavin kicked me out.
|Not before I took his picture!!|
It took all day Saturday (with a break for 5 guys burgers) to trim the room and apply two coats of paint, but we had a great time together. It's a little annoying that it takes hours and hours to trim and then the walls roll in about an hour, but the results were nice:
On Saturday, we enlisted help. Bobby and Heather came for Green Day!
The green was darker, and I had anticipated (correctly) that we would need three coats. Unfortunately I still over estimated how much paint we would need and we ended up with a bunch of extra green paint!
|Not enough Green!|
I'd learned from our previous painting project that a central supply station/work area was important, so we set up a table. I think it helped tremendously to keep the house clean and everything organized.
I LOVE the results.
We aren't huge painters, and there are some rooms in our house that we will hire someone to paint (hopefully soon!) but the nursery isn't that large and it was great to be able to do it ourselves (I didn't help much on Sunday, truthfully, but I was there in spirit and in plan!)