Saturday, September 8, 2012

Book Club: Wild by Cheryl Strayed

I'm a month ahead in Book Club.  The book for next month was available via ebook from our Library (if you have an iPad, smartphone, or kindle, check your library's electronic section.  I'm surprised by all of the books available, audio and ebook format! Also, Sara do you know any other resources for electronic borrowing?)  There was a wait list, so I added myself and got the book early, so I'm a little out of sequence.

The book I read, next month's book, was Wild by Cheryl Strayed.


It didn't take me long to realize that I really didn't like Cheryl.  The copy I got from the library had Oprah's book club notes which were equally annoying to me.  Oprah commented on various passages and why she was so impressed with Cheryl's strength and independence.  I commented on various other passages about why I was so annoyed by her ability to blame others for most of her problems and stumble through life so unprepared (although it seemed to serve her relatively well, considering).  Not far into the book there was this, which I'm sure didn't help my general opinion of the author:
"I got an abortion and learned to make dehydrated tuna flakes."  Just another day in the life?

Still, the idea of an epic journey to give yourself a new perspective is exciting.  While I'd never heard of the Pacific Coast Highway, the places along the way (at least in the California part of the journey) are familiar to me and her descriptions are fantastic.  

Travel is a genre I've typically just skipped.  Although I love travel, the idea of reading about it always seemed boring to me.  But based on the travel books I've read, I'm thinking I should rethink that idea.  A few summers ago I read "The Geography of Bliss" by Eric Weiner and really enjoyed it.  So I can again thank book club for broadening my reading spectrum!

I also recently started Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series.  I was midway through the 4th (and in my opinion by far the worst) book and welcomed a break!  If I ever get through the series, I'll write a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment