Friday, November 4, 2011

NaNoWriMo Update 2

It's only day 4, so it seems a little early for an update, but it's my novel I'll do what I want!


6974 / 50000 words. 14% done!

For the numerically interested after today we will be 13% done with the month.  Also, if all goes as planned tonight, I should be up to at least 7500.

In other words, I've kept up so far, which I recognize isn't a significant achievement, since again, it's only 4 days in.  But in the spirit of being me, I did recent do a completion schedule complete with days that I thought no work would get done (holidays, days I have other stuff going on etc) and balanced out the remainder of the days.  Maybe when I'm done I'll post it to see how I did.

So far, I'm really enjoying writing.  1600 words isn't nearly as daunting as it seemed when I first sat down to think about it and so far.  I've never tried to write a novel before, but I think understand why NaNoWriMo works for so many people.

I've never tried writing anything like this before.  Last book I wrote was in 7th grade.  Last creative writing I did, outside of this blog, was probably in high school for AP English.  But every time I sit down to start writing, I worry.  I don't really know the story I'm writing.  I don't know what is going to happen next, really.  I don't know if I have enough characters, or if I'm going to fast, or to slow.  I worry so much while I get to the computer, open the file.  But then, I just start writing.  I don't know if my story makes sense.  I don't know if it's good, but when I'm writing, I just write.  I'm sure that if and when I finish this project/book/story and go back and read it I'll be frustrated with the inconsistencies, annoyed with the time line mistakes bothered by the typos and repeated words.  But so far, most of the time, when I write, I just write.  Given, it's day 4.  Day 24, maybe it's a different story. But for now, I'm enjoying the process of just writing and I'm shocked when sometimes I read what I've written and actually see a story coming together.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment