Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Runner's High

I am not a real runner, so therefore I doubt I've ever, or will ever, experience the real runner's high. I'm not even sure what it is. But today I experienced something that was close enough for me.

Because today was a bad day I had intended to go for a slightly longer jog today (since my last blog entry I've run everyday except Sunday) and work on some of my wedding to-do's. Instead, after my disheartening afternoon I decided to seek the company of a sushi chef instead. After eating, I didn't really want to go home to my jog or my to do list, but I decided I needed to go home to my puppy. And I wasn't going to go on my jog, I decided, I was just going to cuddle up and so nothing instead.

Once I got home, I decided to go for the jog, Penny needs her exercise after sleeping all day after all. I didn't want to go and it was more than my normal 'running is hard I don't want to do it' not wanting to . Then the runner's high happened. Something about leaving everything except my dog at home and taking off on my own, something about knowing that even though I'm no good at running, I knew my familiar course and I knew I could make it (something I wasn't so sure of two weeks ago), something about time, even a short time, that was completely quiet and free for my mind with nothing but the sound of my breathing in my ears. I don't know what real runner's high is, but for today I'll take this. And I'll try to remember this feeling next time I'm feeling down and like I don't want to go.

Next week I'm taking a short sabbatical from work for some full time domestic-ing/part time vacationing. I expect during this time I'll have at least something blog worthy to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment