Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Book Club

So I'm again a month behind in book club.

In February, we read The Buddha In the Attic by Julie Otsuka.

I didn't like it at all.  It was written in first personal plural; we, us, our, etc.    It was also clearly written for the twitter generation.  Each part of the story consisting of no more than a few sentences before moving on.  While my age would indicate I'm a member of the twitter generation, I am not.  I think it has the potential to be a great story, actually a bunch of great stories, but this presentation didn't work for me.

This month, we read Talk, Talk by T.C. Boyle.


The book was a fictional story about a deaf women who is the victim of identity theft.  I was super confused and a bit annoyed by the book.  For one, I don't understand why the women has warrants and is felony car stopped while the guy who stole her identity is using it successfully to buy a large Condo, purchase cars, and otherwise conduct life with no problems.  The thief does acknowledge that he missed a few payments, but nothing that would result in the dramatic start to the story.  The conclusion, which I won't spoiler, just in case my glowing review convinces you to read it, is equally baffling.  In case you didn't get enough, the epilogue muddies things up just a little bit more.  Of course, it's been almost two weeks since I've gotten a good nights sleep, so I might just be a little sleep deprived and cranky!

I'm currently reading (listening to) The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene.
It's a very lengthy book about the physics of the universe; a topic I find incredibly fascinating.  I think the book is approachable and easy to read (I could do without the pop culture examples).  I would be interested to hear the perspective of a non-scientist, but I don't think I'm going to convince Gavin to read this one any time soon....  I listen primarily during my commute and tell Colin all about what I heard while I feed him in the evenings.  Because I've studied physics and read lots of physics books, the concepts aren't new to me, but I still enjoy the delivery and the opportunity for early science exposure for baby!

I don't know what book is next for book club, but in the meantime, I have lots of Dr.Suess and Construction board books to keep me busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment